There is a lot to consider when moving, especially when moving cities and/or states. Believe it or not we have seen people move to Crested Butte and decide they don’t like the cold and the snow. So, below are a few questions to ask yourself and things to research before pulling the trigger on new property in a new place.
- What is the weather like year-round?
- This is very important there is a city you like to visit on vacation, but only in the summer. Are winter’s cold and snowy?
- What are taxes like?
- Especially property taxes.
- What are the schools like?
- How much does it cost to live there?
- Groceries, fuel, clothes, health care
- What is the job market like?
- Can you easily obtain a job that will cover the above expenses?
- What are the shops and restaurants like?
- Are there big corporate stores (Target, Walmart, etc) or just local shops? Same for restaurants.
- How much will it actually cost to move to a new city?
- What is the local housing market like?
- Get in touch with a local agent to really be able to answer this question.
Most importantly spend as much time as possible in this new place. Is it really a place you can see yourself living or your whole family? Moving is always a big decision, but you don’t want to invest a bunch of money in a move that you’re not happy with.